Overseas students

Securing entry to the UK for overseas students can be cumbersome, particularly in the light of the ever changing UK Immigration Rules.  However, Harrison Clark Rickerbys’ Immigration Team can help unravel the complexity of the Points Based System by offering practical advice from approachable immigration specialists.

We assist universities, colleges and independent schools with a range of matters such as:

  • Applications for a sponsor licence
  • Advising on sponsor duties and applications for Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • Applications for entry clearance or leave to remain for overseas students under Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child)
  • Tier 4 visa appeals under both Tier 4 (General) and Tier 4 (Child), including an assessment of the merits of the appeal and likelihood of success
  • Administrative Review under the Tier 4 category.

Staff recruitment

When recruiting staff from overseas it is essential that the right to work checks are carried out; staff work in accordance with their conditions of leave and the educational establishment complies with its obligations under the Equality Act to avoid discrimination.

We advise in relation to the duties of the sponsoring employers of overseas workers; compliance ahead of a Home Office inspection (which may be unannounced) and ensuring staff have the correct immigration permission to undertake the work for which they are engaged.  We can also assist with work based visa applications, extensions or variations to visas and applications for indefinite leave to remain and British Citizenship for eligible staff.

For further information, please contact or