HCR Law Events

About me

Working in private client law means supporting those who are either forward planning for or dealing with difficult situations, such as the death of a loved one or assisting a relative who has health issues. My role is to ensure clients have peace of mind when it comes to getting their personal legal affairs in order.

I take the time to learn about my clients, their family and financial circumstances and what they are hoping to achieve – from making a will or LPA to administering an estate or guidance on  supporting older and vulnerable clients. I draw on personal experience as a former carer for a relative living with dementia, and as a full member of STEP and Solicitors for the Elderly, to offer clear solutions to complex matters.

Outside work, I volunteer as a Dementia Friends Ambassador for the Alzheimer’s Society. I also have an interest in holistic health and have trained in Reiki and the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT).

Top Tips & FAQs

Discover my top tips

It’s never too early to make a will or lasting power of attorney.

Paying for care is expensive and one of the largest purchases an individual will make in their lifetime. Don’t leave it as a crisis purchase - planning can make a big difference.

The role of an executor or administrator of an estate is a big responsibility. Seek advice to ensure you’re compliant and to avoid incurring personal liability, for example personal liability for unknown debts.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a grant to deal with the estate?

This will depend on the value of the estate, how the assets are held and who they are held with. If you notify the asset holders of a person’s death, they will usually be able to tell you if a grant is needed for that specific asset.

When can we sell the property in a person’s estate?

Contracts for sale cannot be exchanged until a grant has been issued, but you can market the property before this. However, the time it will take to obtain a grant can vary significantly depending on the type of application that is needed, so it is recommended that you seek advice before marketing the property. Also, there are some occasions where a grant may not be needed; we can advise you if this is the case.

Will I have to sell my property to pay for my care?

Under the current charging for care guidelines, if a person receives care in their own home – or if they move into a care home and their spouse continues to reside in the property - the value of their home is disregarded. However, if their spouse dies, the share of the property owned by the person receiving care will usually be brought into account for care fees. The rules around paying for care are complex so tailored legal advice is strongly recommended.

Please fill in the form below and I will be in touch

Got a question?

Send us an email

Newsletter HCR featured image

Stay up to date

with our recent news