The River Stour Mussel Fishery Order 2016
Further consultation on the impact of the proposed trial mussel fishery for Wash Mussels Ltd on the River Stour between Manningtree and Harwich is now taking place, to address concerns raised in the first consultation. Both the original documents and the new documents are available below.
To contribute to the consultation, please see the contact details below. This consultation will be open until Friday 7th October 2016.
The proposal, for trial mussel beds to be established within five areas in the estuary, was originally made to DEFRA in March 2015. Following that consultation a multi-disciplinary team of experts including consultant Peter Scott, who has extensive environmental and fisheries expertise, have discussed and clarified the proposal with many of those who raised concerns during the first round of consultation and produced expert reports on each subject area.
The new information here is set out in those reports and covers:
- action taken to address concerns and further proposed action if the application is granted
- detail on the anticipated frequency and intensity of mussel farming operations during the five years of the proposed order
- environmental issues, including worries about noise from a mussel dredger
- the impact on other types of fishing in the area
- navigation issues and the effect of the dredging on commercial shipping and recreational sailors
- the wider legal implications of the order.
- a revised management plan taking into account the new expert reports
This consultation invites comments and contributions on the further documents prepared since the original consultation, but the documents relating to that first consultation are referred to in the new documents, and can be accessed through this page.
Notice of the further consultation has also been posted on the Eastern and Kent & Essex Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (IFCA) websites and views are welcomed, both from those who took part in the first consultation but also from those who were unable to do so.
Harrison Clark Rickerbys Shellfish and Aquaculture Team
5 Deansway Area 8A Millbank
WR1 2JG Nobel House
firstname.lastname@example.org LONDON SW1P 3JR
Consultation documents :
Original consultation documents (for reference):