Partner, Head of Hereford office
Direct Dial: +44 (0)1432 349662
Mobile: +44 (0)7879 498 160
Matt was admitted as a solicitor in 2004. He qualified at a commercial practice based in Hereford where he gained a wealth of experience over a period of ten years, ultimately as a partner in the commercial team. Matt joined Harrison Clark Rickerbys in 2012. He is a key member of the firm’s Agricultural and Rural Affairs team. Matt’s time in practice sees him represent and advise private and business clients in all manner of legal projects, including those involving:
- Commercial property sales, purchases and commercial mortgages agreed privately, through agents and arising by auction.
- Separate representation acting for lending institutions.
Farm and rural land sales, purchases and agricultural mortgages.
- Advice in relation to right easements and covenants relating to land.
- Development agreements, business leases and associated landlord and tenant arrangements, options, promotion agreements and overage (uplift clauses)
- Residential lease schemes, lease extensions and freehold acquisition and management.
- During the last twelve months or so Matt has acted on the following projects:
- A conditional contract (on planning with a major house builder on a site valued in excess of £2,000,000.00).
- A development of Brownfield Site under conditional contract arrangements leading to successful disposal of a number of sites on one development.
Reorganising lease structures on industrial premises with multiple tenants and annual rentals in excess of £250,000.00.
- A number of refinance arrangements relating to commercial and residential property with complex lease structures and individual values of £5,000,000 and over.
- A number of options on agricultural land with ultimate estimated development values exceeding £100,000,000.00.
- The acquisition of a multiple site agricultural property portfolio with a value in excess of £2,000,000.00.
- Reorganisation of ownership of significant agricultural property holding on dissolution of a family partnership.
In short, Matt has a great deal of experience in all land and property related transactional matters from dealings with flats to large scale property development projects. Matt prides himself on excellence advice, attentive service and a pragmatic “can do” approach to client matters. He has earnt himself an excellent reputation in Herefordshire and has a following of clients which extends well beyond the county.
Matt is married with two young children, Hugo and Jemima who take up most of his time outside the office although he does manage to squeeze in some swimming, cycling, tennis and squash in a continual effort to keep fit.
See the services offered by our Hereford Solicitors
I just want to thank you for taking us through the purchase so efficiently. We were very impressed by the quality of service and attention to detail provided throughout the process.
Purchaser of commercial premises
Harrison Clark Rickerbys’ ‘extremely switched-on practice’ is jointly led by Philip Parkinson and Matthew Hayes. The team acted for new client Funding Circle on a number of important matters, including advising on a lease for the company’s headquarters. The practice was boosted by the arrival of Harriet Murray Jones from Knights Professional Services Limited.
I wish to express how impressed I was with the service we received from you. The communication was excellent and the speed at which the sale was completed. We did not feel like our case was sat in an in tray but that you were actively working on it from beginning to end!
Owners of land recently sold for development
Matthew, thank you for doing such a good job on the purchase – I know it was a bit of a tame job for you, but it’s nice to be able to wow these agents and brokers by bringing in the big guns!
This was not an easy sale, and you dealt with the freeholder, his tricky solicitors, the buyer’s laidback solicitors, and my exasperation and irritation! You kept up a good rapport with all of us and brought the completion of our sale to a very satisfactory conclusion, for which I am extremely grateful.
‘Thank you for you for getting this transaction through so smoothly. Our relationship manager at the bank told me that his life would be far easier if all solicitors could be like you. I really appreciate your calm manner and how we are always able to get hold of you.’
Director , Commercial Property Investment Company