Our People

Heath Thomas, Partner, Head of Thames Valley Office, Licensing and Regulatory

Licensing and Regulatory

Direct Dial: 03301 075 810
Mobile: 07966 492 929

Watch my interview

A bit about me

From world-famous department stores to local festivals, having the correct licence and understanding its conditions can have a huge impact on what you’re trying to achieve. I help you to get the licences you need to operate, keep you compliant with the law, and provide support when a breach occurs.

I have over 20 years’ experience in the licensing sector, and I share a common goal with my clients – I make sure they can keep delivering unique experiences to their customers. I work with clients across every sector, from restaurant and bar operators to sports clubs, social clubs, hotels, theatres and outdoor events.

When I work with you, consider me part of your business – I’ll get to the heart of what you do to understand how you operate best. I know you’re unavailable during standard office hours, so I’m available whenever you need me to help whenever you need me. I’m passionate about providing expert advice, no matter what challenges you face.

Want to know more?

If you have a licence, it’s critical that you and your staff know the conditions of the licence. Keep any documentation, such as incident records and staff training, up to date and in order in case of any challenges.

In the event of a problem, seek immediate advice. Breaches of licence conditions can have far-reaching implications, and could lead to your licence being revoked.

Have a firm idea of what it is you want to achieve, the nature and style of operation and whether it’s suitable or appropriate for your chosen location.

I want to open a restaurant/bar/club and need a licence to do so. Can you help me?

Yes, we can. We’ve developed relationships across the UK with many councils, licensing authorities and responsible authorities, including police, trading standards, EHO, fire safety and planning authorities. No matter where you’re located, we can help you get it arranged.

An offence has been committed on my premises. Will I lose my licence?

Not necessarily – it depends upon the individual circumstances of the case. Human error often comes into it, and if you can demonstrate that you’ve done all that can be reasonably expected to stay compliant (for example, providing appropriate staff training), then losing your licence is unlikely. We’ve dealt with all range of offences, so we can help no matter what challenge you face.

How much will it cost?

We offer a range of fixed fees for standard matters, and we’ll provide an accurate fee estimate at the outset of any more complicated or contested cases.

Where I work

Read my
latest articles

Key questions and support for hospitality businesses during the Covid-19 outbreak

Do I have to pay my Business Rates? The Government has introduced support for retail,…

Read full article

Pubs and restaurants ordered to close

The Government call for all pubs, restaurants, cafes and bars to close from tonight to…

Read full article

Business Continuity Plan for HCR

Preparation As the impact of COVID-19 is being felt by people around the world I…

Read full article

New Reading office for growing firm

Room for more growth led by client demand is leading Thames Valley law firm Harrison…

Read full article

Clients' praise is the best measure of success for Thames Valley law firm

Praise from clients for their legal skills has brought Harrison Clark Rickerbys’ Thames Valley corporate…

Read full article

New senior counsel adds invaluable local knowledge to real estate team

Bringing in-depth local knowledge and a commitment to client care to Harrison Clark Rickerbys’ Thames…

Read full article

Illegal cigarettes sale leads to alcohol licence loss

The sale of illegal cigarettes has led to another shop being stripped of its alcohol…

Read full article

Children gambling in pubs must be stopped

Gambling by children in pubs is too common, according to the Gambling Commission, whose research…

Read full article

Top rankings for legal services to businesses

Recognition of the excellent legal services which Harrison Clark Rickerbys gives to businesses across the…

Read full article

Pubs’, bars’ and restaurants’ costs to be hit by no-deal Brexit, trade bodies warn

As the Government publishes its first set of technical papers on a ‘no-deal’ Brexit, hospitality…

Read full article

Licensees urged to do homework for Freshers’ Week

As thousands of students start their university or college education with Freshers’ Week all over…

Read full article

Disruption by drunk passengers leads to call for licensing rule change

More than 200 incidents involving disruptive passengers have been reported in the first six months…

Read full article

Disruption by drunk passengers leads to call for licensing rule change

More than 200 incidents involving disruptive passengers have been reported in the first six months…

Read full article

Health and safety – the costs of failure

The intention of the Sentencing Council when producing new sentencing guidelines for health and safety…

Read full article

Got a question?

Send us an email


Stay up to date

with our recent news