HCR Law Events

Our People

Lauren McGurk, Senior Associate (TEP)

Private Client

Direct Dial: 01242 246 473
Mobile: 07715 063 130

A bit about me

I help older and vulnerable people through difficult and emotional times, managing the affairs of those who no longer have the capacity to make decisions for themselves.

Most of my clients don’t have close family members, so I’m usually the point of contact for all of their queries. I’m always available to speak to my clients and their carers, and I make sure that their wishes are considered and taken care of at all times.

I have a vast amount of experience in dealing with applications from the Court of Protection, and I’m an accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly, where I’m also on the Birmingham committee. I’m an affiliate member of the Society of Trusts and Estate Practitioners, and I’m passionate about protecting the vulnerable.

I am a full member of STEP.

Want to know more?

We say it a lot, but having a will is so important – you’ll feel much better knowing that everything is in place, and it will ensure everything goes to the right people.

Put Lasting Powers of Attorney in place while you still can – this will save a lot of hassle should the worst happen and ensure your wishes are carried out properly.

Circumstances can change, so make sure you review your will regularly and make sure it is up to date.

What is a Lasting Power of Attorney?

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a document that you sign, which authorises the people you choose to make decisions about your money, your home, or your health and welfare.

I have an Enduring Power of Attorney, is this still valid?

Any EPA, validly made before 1st October 2007, can still be used but only in respect of your property and financial affairs. If you wish to give authority over your health or welfare, you will need to make a health and welfare LPA.

What happens if I do not have a power of attorney in place and I lose capacity?

If you do not have an EPA or LPA, your money and property cannot be used to support you. The court must be asked to appoint a deputy, which can take more than six months –  longer if there is dispute in your family about who that person should be. Until the deputy is appointed, your assets are frozen, and cannot be used to support you.

Teams I work with

Where I work

Read my
latest articles

Excellent private client team wins Highly Commended in national Law Society excellence award

HCR’s private client team, led by Dawn Oliver, which deals with wills, trusts and estates,…

Read full article

Backing talent from trainee to partner promotions

Two new partners lead the promotions round at Harrison Clark Rickerbys, with a range of…

Read full article

Got a question?

Send us an email

Newsletter HCR featured image

Stay up to date

with our recent news