HCR Law Events

25 July 2023

Carry on temporary recreation camping

As we approach the summer holidays, what could be better than a lovely camping holiday in the English countryside? For landowners and farmers this could represent an opportunity to make extra income by operating their own ‘temporary recreational campsite’. As of 26 July 2023, this venture has been simplified due to a new permitted development right coming into force, allowing for certain campsites without the need for planning permission.

The new right allows for land to be used as a recreational campsite for no more than 60 days in total in any calendar year. Within those 60 days each year, it is possible to create up to 50 tent, campervan, or motorhome pitches. It also allows for other temporary moveable structures necessary for recreational camping which must include on-site toilets and waste disposal facilities.

Details of facilities, a site plan, and the dates the site will be in use must be provided to the local planning authority before the campsite use begins each year. The local planning authority will share the details provided annually with the local fire and rescue authority.

If the proposed recreational campsite falls within flood zones two or three, then a prior approval application will need to be submitted annually to the local planning authority in which the right is proposed to be relied upon.

The local planning authority will then decide whether the proposed use is acceptable given the flood risk, following consultation with the Environment Agency.

There are some exclusions to the availability of the right, for example, if the site has a scheduled monument, a listed building or is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. In any of those instances a planning application will be required.

This right is available in England only, and English local planning authorities have the ability to remove the right by way of Article 4 Direction or planning condition. It is also important to remember that the right secures planning consent only, if the criteria is met and issues such as licensing would need to be considered separately.

Share this article on social media

About the Author
Laura Greenman, Partner, Planning, Highways & Environment

view my profile email me

Want news direct to you?

sign up

Got a question?

Send us an email

Newsletter HCR featured image

Stay up to date

with our recent news