Financial Claims on Divorce

Our dedicated team of family lawyers appreciate the need for clear, uncomplicated advice on complicated issues.   Addressing financial matters upon divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership, is one such area.

There are a number of ways in which a divorcing couple can address the financial matters arising upon divorce including:

As far as court proceeding are concerned, the court has a wide range of powers and a Judge can make Orders such as (but not limited to):

  • Property – a sale or a transfer
  • Maintenance – from one party to the other for their continued support or the support of a child(ren)
  • Pensions – sharing or attaching
  • Division of other assets – such as savings, investments, personal possessions

We have particular expertise in issues such as trusts, business interests, inheritance and represent a number of high net worth and high profile individuals.

In exceptional circumstances, the court can order Child Support payments from the non-resident parent to the resident parent.  For most people, however, the Child Maintenance Service (formerly Child Support Agency (CSA)) will be the appropriate avenue to seek maintenance payments when parents cannot agree the appropriate level.  A child support calculator may be found here:

The law now requires all parties to attend an initial mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM) before making a non-urgent application to court and we have a team of trained mediators who can assist with this.

Please contact any one of our family law solicitors located at our offices in Worcester, Cheltenham, Birmingham, Hereford, Ross-on-Wye or Thames Valley for further advice. We also have a serviced office in London where one of our family lawyers can meet with you.

To view our Frequently Asked Questions click here